Monday, April 14, 2008

Lamps in the Living Room

"Cornelia did wonderful things in the way of artistic shades for little electric lamps that Carey rigged up in odd, unexpected corners, made out of all sorts of queer things: an old pewter sugar-bowl, this with a shade of silver lace lined with yellow, a relic of some college costume; a tall gray jug with queer Chinese figures on it that had been among the kitchen junk for years, this with a dull blue shade; a bright yellow vase with a butterfly-yellow shade; and a fat green jar with willow basket-work around it on which Cornelia put a shade of soft green, with some old brown lace over it."

--Grace Livingston Hill, Re-Creations

8 comments:

Rosemary UK said...

Thank you for posting at last !!! Much Appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I second that thought! This is one of my cherished blogs. I love to see new snippets from these wonerful books. Blessings to you and your family. Peggy in Virginia

Cherish the Home said...

I'm so glad to see you posting here again! A lovely quote. (o:

Anonymous said...

I have a question. Years ago I read a Grace Livingston Hill about a girl who comes to a town, is able to buy an old surveyor office and turns it into her home using all sorts of different items. She works for a lady and cleans her house and makes a very delicious dinner. I cannot remember the name and was wondering if you had read this one and knew of its name.

Anonymous said...

I can help with that one. It is "Not Under the Law," and it is one of her very best books, in my opinion. I had to look it up, though, because all the titles and plots tend to run together in my mind. :) Peggy in virginia

Abounding Treasures said...

I just finished Re-Creations for the 1st time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Beginning about 27 years ago, I have been fortunate to collect about 32 of GLH's books in softcover and more recently about 7 in hardcover :o)

Like Gladys Taber's books, they are a joy to read over and over again :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

lolafalola said...

I am not familiar with Grace Livingston Hill but I love beautiful things, especially those things that are feminine and celebrate domesticity. Come Monday morning I'll be checking my library's catalog.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS THE BOOK I LOVE!!!! thanks for sharing it. i thought that the way she redecorated her house was fabulous!!! Janel