Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Christmas Reading List

April Gold
Mrs. Reed does lots of baking for Christmas, while cooking soup and pie at the same time. Christmas tree decorating, singing, gifts, and dressing for Christmas.

Brentwood
Marjorie undertakes extended Christmas shopping; stockings and gifts, a turkey dinner, a Christmas sermon, flowers, and Christmas clothes.

The Prodigal Girl
Snowy weather, a cold farmhouse in New England, blizzards, warm clothing, plain cooking, skating.

Partners
A baby abandoned in the snow, a bright warm apartment, soft new baby clothes, decorating a tree, room service Christmas dinner.

The Christmas Bride
New overcoats for the elderly parents, a handmade nativity scene, a Christmas wedding, snow, and gifts. Oh, and a new house.

The Gold Shoe
Snowstorms, a flannel gown, warming suppers.

Astra
Astra babysits at Christmas, makes a homemade nativity scene, dresses for the holiday, buys roses for the neighbors.

and, lastly, The Substitute Guest (thanks PVS readers!)
Set right at Christmas time, with fruitcake, doughnuts, oyster stew, and lots and lots of bad weather.

10 comments:

Terri said...

I used to read a lot of Grace Livingston Hill. I need to pull out some of my books. I don't think I have any of these, but this list sounds perfect for the season and with a vacation coming up for us, I'll need some good reading material. I'll have to check these out.

Tracy said...

A great list! I love GLH's books, but there are several that I have not read yet.

mommato4 said...

This is so neat!!! I love Grace Livingston Hill...and I LOVE the way you have them divided up according to subjects!! Thank you!!

Have a blessed day!!
Christy

Titus2Grandma said...

These are some of my favorite Grace Livingston Hill books. I find that they are comforting books to read when you just want to relax and be transported back into a simpler time.

I was born in 1935 and although people always will have difficulties in their lives to deal with, the time while I was growing up was a time when just about EVERY family I knew sat down to dinner together every night. Week nights were for eating dinner together, doing the dishes, doing your homework and then taking your bath and going to bed early because "tomorrow is a school day". There was not the amount of running around that families do today. I have about 20 of GLH's books but would like to acquire more of them.Thanks for the suggestions.

Blessings,

Mary L.

Susan Sophia said...

I've not commented before but wanted to stop and thank you so much for introducing me to Grace Livingston Hill. I happened upon your other blog which brought me here quite some time ago. I was intrigued by what you said regarding these books and have not stopped checking them out from the library ever since. I actually read The Substitute Guest and Christmas Bride over Christmas.
I just love these books. They are very inspiring and bring me to a time I just know I would have fit into.
Thank you.
In Christ,
Susan Sophia

AmeliaB said...

I love GLH! I'm hooked now after reading your blogs. lol I'm reading "
More Than Conqueror" right now. Have you read it? Thoughts? Anyone is free to comment. :)

Heather said...

I just finished reading April Gold. I hunt old lots on ebay and keep a log of what I've read. What a lovely blog, perfectly in keeping with Grace! Thank you, I shall look at it often.

Mrs. Rabe said...

I love "The Substitute Guest".

I will need to pull out some of my old ones and do some re-reading.

EEEEMommy said...

I know I have some of those in the box I pulled from my parent's storage room. I have vague recollections of The Substitute Guest. I'm so excited to revisit these old friends this Christmas season. Thanks for sharing which ones would be most enjoyable at this time of year. :)

EmmaLemma said...

I've read The Prodigal Girl and Partners. Partners was interesting. I didn't feel to good reading The Prodigal Girl, though. Maybe a different one would be better. I'm going to read The Finding of Jasper Holt and Tomorow about this Time next.