Thursday, September 6, 2007

"A Cheery Supper"

"They had a cheery supper that night in spite of simple fare. The mother was resurrecting all her old recipes, plain wholesome food, cheaply bought and deriving its savory taste and smell from the old deftness in seasoning, the trick of long cooking, and careful preparation . . . Bean soup made with tomatoes, potatoes, and celery tops. . . brown bread, baked apples and cream, even bread pudding with a dash of chocolate to make it tasty, hash . . . It all seemed so good and they were so hungry from their work."

--Grace Livingston Hill, The Patch of Blue

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

How delicious the food sounds,very appropriate for us at the moment as we are rather short of money so all the good old fashioned, frugal, family recipes are being cooked.Keep posting please.

Heather said...

I just finished reading Patch of Blue last night - what an inspiring book! I love the description of wall papering! That the gospel message is woven in so simply and wonderfully makes this GLH one of my favorites so far! On to 'Rainbow Cottage'!

Daughter of the King said...

I just bought a large estate of GLH books....quite a few doubles...do you also buy them..some are hardbound too of the older books, I am not a collector of old books
Deby
debsblog at gmail dot com

Terri said...

I just found this blog. What an inspired idea for a blog. I look forward to visiting again when I have more time to look around.