Monday, June 25, 2007

How to Take a Road Trip

"They reached a lovely grove at sundown and stopped by the way to have supper. Graham got down and made George help him get out the big hamper.

There was a most delectable lunch; sandwiches of delicate and unknown condiments, salad as bewildering, soup that had been kept hot in a thermos bottle, served in tiny white cups, iced tea and ice-cream meringues from another thermos compartment, and plenty of delicious little cakes, olives, nuts, bonbons, and fruit. It seemed a wonderful supper to them all, eaten out there under the trees, with the birds beginning their vesper songs and the stars peeping out slyly. Then they packed up their dishes and hurried on their beautiful way, a silver thread of a moon coming out to make the scene more lovely.

Doris was almost asleep when at last they began to hear the booming of the sea . . . ."

--Grace Livingston Hill, The Enchanted Barn

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Hmm - I'm never sure which blog to leave a comment on when you double up your GLH posts - lol. Decisions, decision. ;o)

Love this book! It always makes me want to grab one of these Tennessee barns and give it a good makeover.

I do admire and enjoy the way GLH makes things sound so inviting. But truthfully, sandwiches with fillings unknown and salad that bewilders -- I do like to have some idea of what I'm eating. And ice cream on a picnic in a thermos -- I wonder if that works. Funny though that when I read it as she phrases it -- it certainly sounds delicious. Such was the nature of her artistry.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I've been reading GLH since the 1980's, original copies for my local library. One book had the heroine fretting about the fact that she was on a train without a hat!
Got to wear a hat to be lady like, and GLH never shirked an opportunity for her ladies to wear a pretty one.

Sara said...

You've convinced me! I'm off to the library to find some GHL to read; how did I miss her all these years?

Maggie Ann said...

I absolutely love 'The Enchanted Barn'...its one of my favorites.

Peggy said...

I enjoy this site and GLH's books so very much. I revisit frequently looking for a new post. :)